Farmers Market Manager
Start Date: January 2019
Coastal Foodshed is a non-profit who works to connect people to local food and local farmers. Through our programs and education, we bring fresh, local foods to Greater New Bedford’s neighborhoods and serve over 15,000 New Bedford customers annually. The New Bedford Farmers Markets and Mobile Farm Stands are held year-round. During June to October, we operate 3 markets and Mobile Farm Stands in various locations throughout New Bedford. From November to May, our Indoor Market is held every week. We also conduct many pop-up farm stand and nutrition education events (year-round) to keep local food in the hands of those who need it most.
Coastal Foodshed is seeking a full-time Farmers Market Manager with the desire to help grow and sustain the four markets in the City of New Bedford. The ideal candidate needs to have an entrepreneurial spirit and a leadership style that will inspire customers and vendors to support our growing farmers markets in New Bedford. The Market Manager will oversee all aspects of the operations of the New Bedford Farmers Markets and will be charged with improving the customer’s shopping experience. The Market Manager will spend approximately 50% time in the office and 50% time working at markets and in the community at various outreach events. Time in the office will be spent coordinating, managing and improving the operations and programs at the markets. The other portion of time is spent on-site, at the 4 markets, which is important for building relationships with customers and vendors, ensuring local products meet market guidelines, understand what is working well and what is not, and collecting valuable data to help grow and improve the markets.
There are three outdoor markets from June-October which operate on Mondays (2-6pm), Thursdays (2-6pm), and Saturdays (10-2pm). One indoor market operates weekly on Thursdays (2-5:30pm) from November-May. This 2019 season, Coastal Foodshed is looking to expand our indoor season to include some weekends. Weekend work will be required. The position includes driving a van which transports all supplies/equipment to markets. The position also requires lifting loads weighing up to 50 lbs. The Farmers Market Manager reports directly to the Co-Directors and will be an integral part of Coastal Foodshed’s management team. This position is subject to change over time given needs of the organization
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Business Operation Responsibilities
- Assist with the development of Coastal Foodshed’s farmers market strategic plan and ensure goals and objectives of the plan are being met
- Recruit, and maintain and strengthen relationships vendors
- Identify ways to make operations more efficient
- Develop strategies to ensure sales and profitability while achieving excellent customer service and advancing Coastal Foodshed’s mission
- Manage vendor inquiries; assist vendors with necessary paperwork to attend markets (insurance, fees, application, health dept.)
- Collaborate with city departments for market events and necessary equipment; street closures, parks board approvals, etc.
- Coordinate annual vendor meetings for feedback and ways to improve
- Coordinate and oversee special market events- i.e. cooking demos, music, etc.
- Manage the social media platforms under the direction of the Co-Directors: Instagram, Facebook, Mailchimp
- Create and manage marketing materials, distribution list, and dissemination in the community
- Manage inventory supplies/materials; communicating with Co-Directors when supplies/materials are needed
- Assists Co-Directors with management of EBT/SNAP token system and obtaining sales data from vendors
- Attend Coastal Foodshed team meetings, staff trainings, and conferences
- Assist Co-Directors and play a role with fundraising, sponsorships, donors, etc.
Market Operation Responsibilities
- Operate and manage the opening/closing of markets; including the Information Booth to provide general market education and SNAP/HIP information to consumers and vendors
- Set up marketing equipment to visibly enhance the markets and surrounding areas via flags, yard signs, a-frames, etc.
- Process token transactions at market using the EBT terminal and manage token system reimbursement with vendors at the end of the market; collect various sales metrics from vendors at the end of each market day
- Supervise interns/volunteers/apprentices at the markets; providing training when necessary
- Ensure vendors are adhering to the Vendor Handbook and enforcing these policies and procedures when necessary
- Collect data/feedback from customers/vendors at market (i.e. surveys) or directing market staff to assist in collection.
- Conduct outreach at community events; canvassing neighborhoods to promote the markets and SNAP/HIP.
- Knowledge and appreciation of Coastal Foodshed’s mission
- Experience working in diverse community settings
- Ability to build a welcoming market environment and employ a leadership style that encourages market vendors to provide excellent service
- Experience in event planning
- Experience with customer service
- Experience managing staff
- Entrepreneurial self-starter
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to enforce policies and procedures
- Must be able to bend and lift loads, up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to respond to constructive criticism and feedback from supervisors and colleagues
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with good driving record and must be interested
Other Skills & Experience:
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or Creole Portuguese is desirable
- Experience in food and agricultural industry desirable or a willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Southcoast farms and communities desirable
- Bachelor Degree in related field or related work experience