Job Description: Farm Stand Assistant
Start date: June 1, 2019-May 29, 2020
Coastal Foodshed is a non-profit who works to connect people to local food and local farmers. Through our programs and education, we bring fresh, local foods to Greater New Bedford’s neighborhoods and serve over 15,000 New Bedford customers annually. In 2018, we launched a pilot Mobile Farm Stand July-October, and sold fresh, local produce in 3 New Bedford neighborhoods. Our New Bedford Farmers Markets have a year round presence. We also conduct many pop-up farm stand and nutrition education events (year-round) to keep local food in the hands of those who need it most.
Beginning in June of this year, Coastal Foodshed will operate a year round Mobile Farm Stand in partnership with Alma Del Mar Charter School. We are offering one, part-time, year round position who will work directly with our Farm Stand Manager to assist with operations of the farm stand, provide customer support and local food education to the community. Candidates must commit to 3-5 hours per week.
During June-October, we operate outside and November-May we move inside the school. Schedule could also include separate pop-up farm stands for other Alma Del Mar community events. Operation hours for the outdoor season will be every Friday 2-6pm, June-October; indoor season dates/times TBD.
- Assist with setup/breakdown and operations of the farm stand.
- Provide customer service at farm stand site; engaging current and potential customers; encouraging them to try new products, and promote wholesale farmers.
- Perform cash, credit/debit, and SNAP/HIP EBT sales transactions using Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Provide quality control and monitoring of produce.
- Organize products and properly store any remaining produce.
- Collect data/feedback from customers (i.e. surveys, collecting stories).
- Assist Farm Stand Manager with wholesale inventory.
- Assist with social media content development by taking pictures/videos and gathering testimonials at each market location.
- Providing translation assistance for customers and vendors at the market or assisting with marketing translations.
- Assist with events on site such as cooking demonstrations, music, workshops, etc.
- Responsibilities can also include conducting outreach at community events to promote the markets and SNAP/HIP; working with the Coastal Foodshed staff on unrelated tasks such as fundraising, team meetings, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese Creole and other non-English languages are a must
- Ability to lift 40 pounds when needed and work in adverse weather.
- Enthusiasm for working directly in the communities we serve and being comfortable with and respectful of diversity.
- Comfortable with technology, experience with iPads, and social media platforms a plus.
- Reliable transportation required, access to a vehicle is a plus.
- Ability to have fun and a goofy sense of humor is a plus!
- This position requires evening work.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time, year-round position with a compensation of $12-13/hr. This position provides invaluable insight into: local agriculture, food justice, nutrition/cooking education, public health, non-profit management, and customer service. You will learn what it is like working in a hugely diverse city like New Bedford and the importance of honoring food justice by working in low-income, food-insecure neighborhoods.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Stephanie Perks via email [email protected] Alma del Mar Farm Stand Assistant as the subject line. Direct questions to Stephanie via email or by calling 508-817-1756.
Coastal Foodshed is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.