Farm Stand and Market Assistant (Two positions available) via Attorney General Healthy Summer Youth Jobs
Start date: July 8th- August 25th 2019
Coastal Foodshed is a non-profit who works to connect people to local food and local farmers. Through our programs and education, we bring fresh, local foods to Greater New Bedford’s neighborhoods and serve over 15,000 New Bedford customers annually. We coordinate the New Bedford Farmers Markets, operate Mobile Farm Stands and conduct many pop-up farm stand and nutrition education events to keep local food in the hands of those who need it most, all year round.
From June-October, Coastal Foodshed operates three outdoor New Bedford Farmer Markets, and from November-May, we operate an indoor market every Thursday and the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month. Coastal Foodshed also operates a year round Mobile Farm Stand in locations throughout New Bedford.
We are offering two, 7-week positions funded through the Attorney General Healthy Summer Youth Jobs program to support the Farmers Market (FM) Manager with operations of the markets and the Farm Stand (FS) Manager with operations of the farm stands. The students will be supervised by the Co-Director and work directly with both program managers to best serve customers. Candidates must commit to 10-15 hours per week; weekend work is required.
Mondays 1:00 - 7:00pm; Brooklawn Park Farmers Market
Tuesdays: 3:00- 5:00pm: Old Taylor School Parking Lot Farm Stand
Wednesday: 3:00 - 5:00pm: Temple Landing Farm Stand
Thursdays: 1:00 - 7:00pm; Downtown at Custom House Square
Fridays: 3:00 - 5:00pm: Alma Del Mar Farm Stand
Saturday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Clasky Common Park
Schedule can also include pop-up farm stands at community events, travel with FS Manager to pick up wholesale products at regional farms.
- Assist with setup/breakdown and operations
- Collect data/feedback from customers and vendors (i.e. surveys, collecting stories).
- Assist with social media content by taking pictures/videos and gathering testimonials.
- Providing translation assistance for customers and vendors or assist with marketing translations.
- Assist with events on-site such as cooking demonstrations, music, workshops, etc.
- Conduct outreach at community events to promote the markets and SNAP/HIP; working with the Coastal Foodshed staff on unrelated tasks such as fundraising, team meetings and so on, as needed.
Farmers Market-Specific Responsibilities include:
- Assist FM Manager with the management of the Info Booth to provide general market education and SNAP/HIP information to consumers/vendors.
- Process token transactions (Credit/Debit, SNAP/EBT/HIP) using the EBT terminal and assist with managing the token system reimbursement with vendors at the end of the market; collect various sales metrics from vendors at the end of each market day.
Farm Stand-Specific Responsibilities include:
- Provide customer service at farm stand sites; engaging current and potential customers; encouraging them to try new products, and promote wholesale farmers.
- Perform cash, credit/debit, and SNAP/HIP EBT sales transactions using Point of Sale (POS) system.
- Provide quality control and monitoring of produce on-site and at cold storage facility.
- Organize products for next sites, and properly storing remaining produce.
- Assist FS Manager with wholesale inventory and farm site pick-ups, as needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Per grant guidelines, applicants must be under 21 years of age.
- Proficiency in Spanish, Portuguese Creole and other non-English languages are a must
- Ability to lift 40 pounds when needed and work in adverse weather.
- Enthusiasm for working directly in the New Bedford neighborhoods and comfortable with and respectful of diversity.
- Comfortable with technology, experience with iPads, and social media platforms a plus.
- Reliable transportation required, access to a vehicle is a plus.
- Ability to have fun and a goofy sense of humor is a plus!
Compensation and Benefits:
This is an hourly position with compensation of $13/hr. Our internship provides invaluable insight into: local agriculture, food justice, nutrition/cooking education, public health, non-profit management, and customer service. Interns will learn what it is like working in a hugely diverse city like New Bedford and the importance of honoring food justice by working in low-income, food-insecure neighborhoods. Transportation stipends/monthly bus passes are available if needed. Uniform (t-shirts) will be provided.
How to Apply:
Please complete the attached job application with a brief cover letter as to why you want to work for Coastal Foodshed and send to Stephanie Perks via email [email protected] (Market and Stand Assistant as the subject line). Applicants can also mail or drop off to Coastal Foodshed offices at 466 Brock Ave New Bedford, Ma 02744.
Coastal Foodshed is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please direct all job related questions to Stephanie via email [email protected] or by calling 508-817-1785.