Current job opportunities:
2018 Assistant Farm Stand Manager
Full-time, Hourly, Seasonal
Start Date: May 14th
Job Posting Close Date: April 30th
Launching this June, Coastal Foodshed will be implementing the New Bedford Farm Stand, which will sell produce from local farms, to New Bedford communities with limited access to local food. The Farm Stand will operate at 4-5 pop-up sites throughout New Bedford- schools, neighborhoods, and public parks. The position is an hourly seasonal role; 30-35 hours/week for 22 weeks (June-October) with an additional 10 hours in May (training) and 10 hours in November (wrap up). In addition to operating the farm stand, this role will also include a farm apprenticeship at a local farm to gain agricultural knowledge and skills.
This position will directly assist the Executive Directors with coordinating farm stand logistics, drive the farm stand vehicle, and operate the farm stand via sales and outreach with customers, stock and sort inventory, and set-up and breakdown farm stand sites.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operate the farm stand vehicle throughout various sites in New Bedford and traveling to farms in the Greater New Bedford region.
- Act as main point of contact for program; providing customer service at farm stand sites: engage current and potential customers to encourage them to try new products and help answers questions about products; and promote farmers who grew the products.
- Perform cash, credit, and EBT sales transactions; compete end-of-day financial reporting and data entry.
- Provide quality control and monitoring of produce.
- Organize products for next sites, and properly storing remaining produce.
- Perform basic record-keeping, correspondence and other office activities to support other Farm Stand sites.
- Work with Co-Directors to determine weekly produce order.
- Maintain consistent communication through email, phone, and social media channels, and keep Co-Directors informed of interactions.
- Promote the Farm Stand and Coastal Foodshed programs through outreach (including distribution of marketing materials and using social media) and promotional activities.
- Assist in outreach to recipients of public benefits including WIC, HIP (SNAP or food stamps) and WIC-FMNP.
- Manage volunteers and interns on site as required.
- Represent Coastal Foodshed to develop, build and sustain partnerships with public and private agencies whose missions and activities are complementary.
- Support other Coastal Foodshed programs as requested by the Co-Directors including support of fundraisers, events, and any other activities as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- In addition to proficiency in English, excellent verbal and written communications skills in either Spanish and Cape Verdean Creole required.
- Exceptional outreach, interpersonal and customer service skills strongly recommended.
- Demonstrated interest in community-based health, with past experience of outreach work strongly desired.
- Experience with basic accounting, sales transactions, and product merchandising desired.
- Comfortable with technology and experience with iPads, and social media platforms.
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely and accurate manner and the ability to work independently but also as a team.
- Participation of an additional 4 hour weekly Farm Apprenticeship is required in order to gain agricultural knowledge and skills.
- This position requires the employee to work remotely and outside in all weather conditions (farm stand will be closed in severe weather).
- Candidate must be able to lift up to 40 lbs in and out of a vehicle.
- This position requires the employee to interact with persons of various socio-economic backgrounds, farmers, and the general public.
- This position requires the employee to drive a vehicle, and have a valid MA drivers license. Only candidates with a safe driving record will be considered.
- This position may require weekend work and early morning or late evening work.
- This position requires reliable transportation.
Conditions of Employment
This is hourly and seasonal, 30-35 hour a week position, from mid May through approximately mid November 2018, and may continue, as funding allows. Priority will be given to candidates who are able to commit through November.
Ability to work weekends, evenings, and more – this position will not be a standard 9 to 5 and will include much in and out time. Strong self-motivation and personal scheduling are a must.
Farm Stand sites may occur in New Bedford at Gomes Elementary School, Pacheco Elementary School, Brock Ave southend neighborhood area, Buttonwood Park neighborhood, and Acushnet Ave neighborhoods.
Starting wages for this position are $16-18 per hour, depending on experience.
Farm Apprenticeship Training and Benefits:
This position will also be given a weekly share of vegetables through a local Community Supported Agriculture(CSA) share from June-October.
The Assistant Farm Stand Manager will gain extensive first-hand knowledge of food retail, nutrition, and sustainable farming practices via:
- Working with Registered Dietitians to implement a food access program in New Bedford.
- Apprenticing with a local chemical-free farmer to gain hands-on agricultural knowledge and skills.
- Visits to other rural farms in the region
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Stephanie Perks via email [email protected] Assistant Farm Stand Manager as the subject line. Direct questions to Stephanie via email or by calling 508-817-1785. Job Posting Close Date: April 30th
Coastal Foodshed is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.